Sunday, June 18, 2017

The most of today

Good morning, God, and thanks much for this new day of ours. There are quite a few hours stretching ahead of us, and I'm glad that I'm able to be here to experience them. What I really hope to do is to experience them well--to appreciate them and to make them count, getting something done during these hours that's worth doing, even if it's just to strengthen a particular relationship in my life or to make someone else feel better about him or herself so that that person might be able to contribute to the life in this world in very strongly positive ways.

Sometimes what I need help with more than other things is recognizing my opportunities to do good things in the world, to contribute to the lives of others. Perhaps I don't see that in a particular situation, and encouraging word would be very helpful. Perhaps I don't recognize that someone is feeling afraid, or depressed, or anxious, and I could help there. Maybe I'm missing an opportunity to change my own life in significantly positive ways because I don't see the chances that are there before me.

So perhaps you could help me with that? Maybe you could help me to open my eyes better and to be aware of chances that I have to contribute to the good and the positive of the world? I already have a huge list of things that I could have done but didn't see at the time, and maybe as I grow older I can have fewer of those things in my life. . . .

A reply:

You're very welcome for this day. I trust that you'll use it as well as you can in this particular time of your life.

You are right about not seeing things--you've missed many opportunities in your life because you haven't seen them or haven't recognized them for what they were when they were present in your life. Welcome to the human race. Remember that much of your goal as a human is to learn to see--to learn to keep your eyes and your heart open to the life that you're living. It takes practice for most people, and a lot of training. Given the fact that your training was not nearly as good as some other people were trained, it's naturally taking you a bit longer to reach points that other people reached when they were quite a bit younger than you. That is life--that's how it goes, and that's how it has gone forever.

But that's okay. You've come a long way from where you were when you started, and you need only look at your siblings to know that you've come much further than many other people who were given similar resources. The mere fact that you want to be awake and aware is extremely important, too.

I will do all that I can to help you, but in the end, of course, it's up to you. I can be here for support, but I can't regulate your life. I'm not going to tap you on the shoulder every time something happens to say "Look!" If I were to do that, your development would be greatly impaired. Every now and again I may do so. Be ready for it.

And hold on to your willingness to learn, to see, and to grow. Enjoy what you've been given, but learn from it, also. What you learn today will most definitely help you tomorrow. Stay awake, and stay aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment