Wednesday, July 6, 2022

My Contributions

Good morning, God,

And thanks much for this new day.  I'm glad of the opportunities and possibilities that lie before me on this day, and I'm going to do my best to make the most of them in positive ways.  I'm not quite sure how I'll do, of course, but that's one of the constants of life, isn't it--doing the best we can even if we don't know what the results will be?

I'm in my third week of vacation now, and it seems very strange to me.  Getting up in the morning and not having anywhere that I have to go is very nice, but also a bit disconcerting.  I think that it's especially disconcerting now that I've decided to be done with teaching--there's no foreseeable end to this particular vacation, even though I know that financially, there will have to be.  I'll have to find another job, something else to do, but I know that it's going to be difficult to find something to do that will be fulfilling and that will pay the bills--and that also will allow me to make a contribution to the world.

Teaching has been a good career for me because I've always known that while teaching, I was giving something important to the world.  I was using my skills and talent and knowledge in ways that were productive and helpful to others, especially to young people.  I was able to contribute to the future, and that contribution allowed me to work from my strengths.  As of now, though, I have no idea what I'll be doing when we move, and I have no idea what kinds of contributions I'll be able to make.  I also have no idea how much money I'll be able to earn while doing what I do.

It's a bit intimidating right now, of course.  We're not rich, and we're taking a huge risk.  I know that it's important to have faith in you and in life.  I also know that we've taken similar risks before and we've come out fine.  We're at that stage right now, though, that is difficult and intimidating, and we really do both ask your help in keeping us balanced, and not allowing the stress of the situation to overwhelm us, which it easily could do.  Our house needs to sell for a decent price, we need to be able to move in a decent amount of time and as cheaply as possible, and we need to find a new place to live in a city or town where we've never lived before.  Could you help us to stay positive and calm and upbeat while we wait for all the pieces to fall into place, please?

A reply:

Of course I can.  You already know the most important element of this whole situation, of course:  things will be fine.  One way or another, they will be fine.  They probably won't end up how you envision them, or possibly even as you want them, but they will be fine.  You know that, and I know that.  You do understand one of the most important aspects of this whole situation, and that's the tendency for people to worry, to not have faith that things will be okay.  So far, you're focusing on getting your house ready for the people who will own it next, and that's truly important.  You understand the responsibility you have to make sure that the new owners will have a nice place to live, and you're trying to live up to that responsibility.  Keep focused on that for now, and when the time does come for you to relax a bit and know that you've done all you can, then try to relax and focus on enjoying what's left of your time where you are before you move.  You'll have plenty to do while settling in to your new home in your new city or town, so take some time to see the sights around you and enjoy what's offered.

And the key word there, of course?  "Enjoy."  This is a necessarily stressful time for you both, but that doesn't mean that you can't still enjoy your days in the home you've made while you still have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment